Saturday, October 16, 2010

First American Woman on Everest, etc.

I finished Sandy Allison's Beyond the Limits and have started in on Chris Bonington's The Climbers. I'm not sure I'm impressed by Sandy Allison's personality, even if she is a strong climber at altitude. She seems very in to herself and "winning" and getting a title, and doesn't understand when other women act the same way. I'd say "hooray" for her accomplishment, but the book seems to be as much about her internal workings as it is about her external mountain climbing. It will be a while before I pursue her other book. The Climbers is interesting read, so long as you do not take it as a general history of mountain climbing, but as a history of the mountain climbing that interests Chris Bonington, and so far comes off as very English and European centered. It will be interesting to see what kind of role he places his own expeditions into the grand scheme of things once I make it that far along. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment