Monday, October 18, 2010

Doctor on Everest...again?

Bonington's The Climbers is done and gone, as well as Ed Viesturs' Himalayan Quest. Bonington writes an enjoyable book, but with limited scope, covering only the Alps and the Himalayas and focusing primarily on European ventures. Himalayan Quest is a picture book released a couple years ahead of No Shortcuts to the Top, and Viesturs acutally still has Nanga Parbat and Annapurna to summit. It's a quick read and has interesting graphics on the less-covered 8000-meter peaks, such as Manaslu and Hidden Peak. I think after reading several 14 highest books, I've acutally got the peaks down. I wish there was more to read on Manaslu and Dhaulagiri. They seem like interesting places to travel, and I'll bet the trek in is amazing! This morning I started in on Kenneth Kamler's Doctor on Everest. I wonder if he and the publisher thought his was the first book with this title...

No comments:

Post a Comment